Project Eyeball, Singapore Press Holdings April to Aug 2000
- I produced multi-media content on a spectrum of topics for a website and a daily newspaper, incorporating extensive research, interviews, writing, digital photography and videography, and minidisc recording and audio-editing.
- I had a daily commentary/analysis column called Ground Zero.
MediaCorp Radio, Passion99.5FM Oct 1997 to Feb 2000
- on-air duties (‘live’ interviews in the studio and over the phone, presenting news bulletins and event trailers; scripting and presenting ‘live’ talk-sets; selecting, researching and presenting world music, jazz and classical music.)
- audio engineering, conceptualisation and production of three weekly 15-minute programmes on the arts and culture of Singapore, foreign arts performances, and a series of arts forum in conjunction with The Esplanade. I conducted and edited interviews with local and international arts practitioners and personalities, and also previewed and reviewed arts events spanning a gamut of visual and performing arts.
- My production work also encompassed commercials and promotion trailers, and station IDs and zingers. The equipment I operated included an 8-track audio editing system, Session-8, the Dalet, the Virtuoso, the conty audio console and MD, DAT and Otari reel machines.
- Event Host for ‘live’ broadcasts of Womad Singapore 1998, Viva Brazil 1999, Festival Village 1999 and Womad Singapore 1999.
- Emcee for Singapore Women’s Weekly’s Valentine’s Day Lunch 1999, and the National Arts Council’s Made in Singapore Concert 1999.
Power98FM June 1996 to Oct 1997
News Editor and Producer-Presenter
- I was responsible for news gathering and rove reporting; writing and editing daily news bulletins comprising local and international news, and managing a team of eight reporters.
- I covered major events such as the 1996 Singapore General Election, the World Trade Organisation Inaugural Meeting 1996, National Day Parade 1996, Five Power Defence Arrangements (FPDA) Ministerial Meeting 1997, Asia Telecom 1997, Asia-Europe Summit 1997, South African President Nelson Mandela’s visit to Singapore, US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright’s visit to Singapore, the Singapore International Film Festival, and the Festival of Asian Performing Arts.
- I initiated, produced and presented the station’s pilot weekly arts and entertainment programme, Art Beat.
- Special features which I scripted and produced include the Singapore Armed Forces’ peace troops in Iraq, and a retrospective of the life and times of Singapore’s first elected President, Ong Teng Cheong.
Magazines Incorporated Private Limited June 1995 to May 1996
- I conceptualised and produced editorial and visual content for six of the company’s publications including The Peak (a publication catered to a select group of entrepreneurs, diplomats and professionals); Elite (a credit card magazine); Aspiration (a Toyota Cars magazine); Priority (a Singapore Airlines publication); Gold (a credit card magazine), and Property Review (commissioned by the Real Estate Development Association of Singapore)
- I conducted interviews with movers and shakers of industry, and produced feature articles on topics as diverse as the arts, entertainment, fashion, commerce, home interiors, real estate, technology, the Internet and other lifestyle-related issues.
- I was sent on overseas assignments to Geneva (interviewed watch-maker Franck Muller); London (for a survey of style and fashion in this city, and interviewed hat designer David Shilling and restauranteur Joel Kissin), and Zurich (interviewed Swiss artist Rolf Knie).
- Apart from writing, I also conceptualised the layout and headlines of my articles, and took slide photographs.